Monday, September 1, 2008

Ennio Morricone - Butterfly (1982)

"Butterfly" is a film that seems to be generally disliked by most who watch it. I have never seen much more than a few glimpses of it as a kid, only sneaking a peek as it was one of those films that my parents forbid me to see. Growing up I knew it had some sort of history behind it, but never really bothered to look it up...until now.

Thanks to Wiki I found out that it was financed by Pia's husband, an Israeli multimillionaire. It was critically panned on release and received 8 nominations for the Golden Raspberry Awards with Pia Zadora winning "Worst Actress" and "Worst New Star". Despite this, she won the "Best Newcomer" award at the Golden Globes causing some people to speculate that her husband "bought" the award from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

Now with the history lesson done, I still don't know if the film is as bad as some say it is. Perhaps I'll try to track it down one day (it's still not on DVD that I'm aware of) and give it a shot. One thing not up for debate though is the wonderful soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. It's your typically beautiful score that you would expect from the Maestro. The final track "It's Wrong For Me To Love You" is sung by Pia Zadora and I suppose could be another topic of debate, but I think she does a good job. To be honest though, I think even I might sound decent with Morricone backing me up.

01. Main Title (04:17)
02. Hot Tin Tub (02:42)
03. Discipline (01:57)
04. Moke Shot (02:37)
05. Pokin' Moke (01:22)
06. Girl On My Porch (03:06)
07. It's Belle (01:35)
08. I'm Your Daughter (02:55)
09. Silver Mine (01:10)
10. Daddy Agrees (01:41)
11. Here For The Wedding (01:54)
12. She's Not Your Kid (02:23)
13. Chippings (02:04)
14. The Trial (02:13)
15. A Son-in-law (01:06)
16. Sunburst (01:36)
17. Kady (02:49)
18. Main Title (03:52) (Alternate Version)
19. It's Wrong For Me To Love You (03:51) (Vocals by Pia Zadora)


New link in the comments.

16 comments:

Brianiac said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/141921635/Butterfly.rar

The Axeman said...

Wow! Thanks...I think.
I can remember not being able to decide if it was worth sitting through just for the nudity. Tough call.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today while looking up Paolo Il Caldo, and I am floored by the riches that you are bestowing upon us. Molto Grazie for all of it, and consider yerself bookmarked!

Brianiac said...

You're welcome, Michael...I think. ;)

Glad you found the blog, Dan. Thanks for the kind words!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! Anyone know who plays trumpet on track 10?

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi there brianiac
Thanks for a terrific website
By the way after all these years Butterfly is now available on dvd.
You can read about it here

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/sd-dvd-film-documentary/277189-butterfly-1982-official-release.html

and here

http://ecofugal.blogspot.com/2008/10/butterfly-on-dvd.html

Brianiac said...

Thanks for the links, Anon. Perhaps it is time to track it down once and for all and see what all the fuss was about.

dukeofdisc said...

I remember watching this movie on my giant Klaus Novabeam TV back in the early 80's.

I do believe that this link is no longer available on rapidshare.

Brianiac said...

Hi Merle! Try the link again. It should be working.

Ant said...

Wow... The music is so beautiful!
Thanks a million for all the treasures you share with us.
I'm officialy in love with your blog!

Anonymous said...

It's actually quite a good drama. Pia is not all that good but it's worth watching for the wonderful score plus Stacy's acting. To this day i cant understand how anyone could not like this film but i guess it all comes down to taste. If anyone would like a dvd copy can send if you get in touch with me.

Anonymous said...

I love Pia! She was such an icon of kitsch. ;)

Brianiac said...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/aje2lfx2m816b48/Butterfly.rar

Anonymous said...

finally i found this ost, thank you sir !

Anonymous said...

hi link is dead

Brianiac said...

Here you go:

https://mega.nz/#!o99DQLjI!lkNnR5ssxov15m3F2PwzcZi9U3KpxRUa5qXoIHicblE

OR

http://www.mediafire.com/download/aje2lfx2m816b48/Butterfly.rar